September 30, 2010

The FeeJee Mermaid Meets the Sunken City


Alright! So here is all of the progress I've made on the FeeJee Mermaid cuff. I love the fish-scaley look of filled-in netting-work, but the chartreuse of the cab was not represented well enough in any of the rest of the beadwork. The solution, of course, was another trip to the bead store! I found this Kermit-green for the edging, which I hope will be enough to tie it all together. I think part of the problem is that I like the colors to be matchy, so I have a hard time leaving this color palette alone; it's too cool against the yellow in the stone.

Also, I love a good excuse to visit the bead store.




And here we have the start of a new cuff, Atlantis. I'm excited about making waves! BECAUSE I'M A REBEL, GET IT?! [Insert rim-shot sound here.] Anyway, I'm in love with the shell cabochon in this! I need to take a close up of it... and then make a quick run to the bead store to pick up a few more...




The idea is to repeat the waves on the other side, just flipped upside down (though it's hard to tell from the sketching) - similar to the trees from Hansel and Gretel.

Well! That's all the update I've got! I've promised myself I'm going to work on these today, so I'm off. Wish me luck(-slash-willpower)!

6 comments:

  1. So far the Atlantis cuff looks beautiful- I'm in love with the colors you picked and the wave design sounds great! I look forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! I'm really excited about it. I'm for sure hoping it will have a sort of Japanese woodcut (Hiroshige-esque) kind of feel-- stylized crashing waves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 'Kermit green' will most surely tie it all together. Good choice. It's beautiful and I can't wait to see Atlantis progress. Both are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! The crashing waves would be perfect!

    Also, I'm sure you have several ideas for new designs, but I think that an Isis cuff would be lovely. Egyptian mythology is so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your comment and then immediately went and studied up on Egyptian mythology; now I have at least five new sketches for cuffs. So thank you! I'm not totally sure why I haven't really considered Egyptian mythology yet! I think just because I'm not very familiar with it. Now I'm thinking Isis, Osiris and Kek as the first few Egyptian-related pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, glad I could help! I've always been fascinated with Egyptian mythology. I'm really excited about seeing your interpretation of the myths.

    ReplyDelete